Thursday, October 4, 2007

Too Much Information


I had my tarot cards read on Wednesday and it was an interesting experience. Do I believe in them? Not really. There’s always a ‘how on earth does she know that’ moment but those are far outweighed by the generic comments, which can be interpreted any way you like.

It does make me wonder though; what if everything she said will come true? What do I do with the information I’ve been given? Should I now make different decisions based on the information she’s given me from the reading? I’m sure some people do but I’m not one of them.

Having my cards done did make me think about what I would do if someone told me they could see into the future. What would you do? Would you want to know what lies ahead; the good and the bad?

I’m not a particularly spontaneous person so knowing what lies ahead seems like a great idea. I’m the sort of person who listens to the news before the TV telecast of the Oscars to find out who’s won, just so I’m not disappointed when I watch it. The same goes with books. When the final Harry Potter book was released I read the last chapter first to make sure that I was going to be happy with the way JK tied up all the loose ends (I was) – I didn’t want to read all those pages and then hate the ending.

The more I thought about it though the more it seemed like a bad idea. Would you really want to know when someone was going to die? It would change your whole perspective, not to mention your relationship with that person, and you couldn’t be truly happy knowing what was to come. But what about happy events then? Nothing beats being told that someone is expecting a baby, or when they’re in labour the anticipation of what the sex will be. Imagine knowing in advance all the things that are going to happen in your life; it seems pretty awful doesn’t it.

Life isn’t really about grand gestures is it? It’s the day to day stuff, and how we deal with it, that makes us who we are. Small things like laughing with your mates, a hug from a niece, an email you’ve been waiting for… that’s the good stuff! They’re the things that truly make you happy.

I’m sure life will throw a few more curve balls at me, but I can handle them in whatever form they appear… and maybe a few surprises here and there will be good for me.

John William Waterhouse - The Crystal ball

No comments: