Sunday, August 3, 2008

To The Shore

This week has been another of those weeks that seem like they're never going to end! I stayed at my Mum's on Tuesday night as she's exhausted from looking after my stepfather Bob and needed some support (and company).

On Wednesday morning it was apparent that Bob wasn't very well so Mum called an ambulance but was dithering about whether to send Bob to hospital or 'wait and see' whether his health improved. I felt he needed to be seen by a Doctor and once I mentioned going to hospital he agreed that it was the right thing to do.

That afternoon I had my follow-up appointment with my neurologist and he gave me the all clear on my heart and MRI tests, although they detected that I have Factor V Leiden, which is a specific mutation that results in thrombophilia, or an increased tendency to form abnormal blood clots in blood vessels. I was pretty happy the tests and scans were all clear and I don't have to see the neurologist again until next February.

Thursday and Friday was just work, work, work and then yesterday afternoon we went to visit Bob at the hospital, one that supposedly specialises in geriatric care, and what I saw there made me wonder whether I'd done the right thing! In the few short days since Bob has been admitted his health has deteriorated to such a degree that if he is left in that hospital he won't be with us for Christmas! The poor thing is strapped in a chair after his morning shower and they leave him there all day, other than the occasional toilet break. We saw the other residents sitting at the table eating their evening meal yet they left Bob strapped in his chair - I have no idea why as he's been eating at the table right up until the day he was admitted to hospital!

When Bob said he was tired and wanted a nap the nurse said they prefer to keep him awake as they want him to sleep at night! Mum tried to explain that at home he was having 3 or 4 naps during the day and still sleeping at night but they still kept him strapped in the chair. Personally I can't sit in the same position for more than 30 minutes before I get uncomfortable and have to move so I can only imagine the discomfort he must be in! When Mum told me that she was going to bring Bob home tomorrow I was relieved as he is not getting proper care at that hospital!

Today is my sister in law's birthday and she decided that since it was a beautiful day she wanted to spend it by the lake! The Lake is the one thing I really like about where I live as it has a bike/walking track right around it, a great play area for kids and a fantastic chip shop across the road! In summer I take my dog with me and she loves 'meeting' other dogs along the walking track, however today was a canine free day.

After Madeleine had played on the swings and climbing equipment, and we'd had our fill of hot chips we decided to walk around the Lake and on to one of the piers before heading home for some of Danielle's delicious home-made slice.

What 9 year olds do when you give them your camera

Maddy on the pier

Mason, starting to sit up by himself!

What a cutie!

In the afternoon Danielle's friends called in with a home-made birthday cake, which is always a winner, so there was cake (yes, more food) and tea all round!

When there are kids involved you always have to blow out the candles at least twice!

I did notice there were somewhat less than 31 candles on the cake but sshh, I won't tell anyone though!


Danielle said...

It was a very hard week with lots of sad moments.

My Birthday however was full of lovely moments. The lake was a nice place to enjoy a little sun and good company.

The cake and slices were a nice treat too.

Thanks for a lovely day,


Carolyn said...

I'm just impressed that the birthday girl baked on her own birthday!

Work was very impressed with the slices and said to pass on their compliments!