Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bed Rest

On Monday I went to see my Obstetrician for my weekly visit only to be sent to hospital for two days bed rest as my blood pressure was really high!

It came as a bit of a shock as we'd had a good weekend and I wasn't stressed about anything - until I was told to go home, pack a bag and go to the hospital!

On Saturday we'd had visitors so we took them down to Shellharbour and had a lovely relaxing seafood lunch by the water, followed by a trip to the nursery where we stocked up on plants that we intend to put in the garden.

The idea of actually getting rest in hospital, especially when you're on four-hourly observation, seems a bit unlikely. It's hard to sleep with new born babies crying, people buzzing the nurses and being woken up to have your blood pressure taken! Despite all the distractions my blood pressure did come down while I was in hospital, which surprised me but I guess when all you're doing is laying around reading and flicking through magazines there's not a lot to be stressed about!

This baby isn't very cooperative as she's been in awkward positions for every scan that I've had - including last week when I was unable to get any 3D pictures as she wasn't in the right position! You only get the opportunity to get the 3D pictures once so we've missed out on that one - boy is she going to hear about this as she's growing up! One of the nurses decided to 'wake' the baby as she seemed to have been sleeping for a long time, which meant there wasn't a lot of variation on the fetal monitor. After one little kick she went back to sleep so they tried again - again nothing! As a last resort they made me drink a glass of iced water, which resulted in one little wiggle and then back to sleep. I guess she's on 'bed rest' too!

Anyone that knows me well would know that I am the last person to flash my flesh, however I have been told many, many times that my bump isn't big enough so here is the evidence that I do have a proper baby bump! I have to say it was a pain being hooked up to the fetal monitor 3 times a day as I had to hold one of the straps in place - for 30 - 40 minutes at a time - my fingers kept going numb!

After debating whether to keep me in for a bit longer I was finally allowed home, as long as I take blood pressure medication and email my obstetrician my blood pressure results - which I have to take 4 times a day!

While I was in hospital Aaron started work on the back yard as he wanted me to have a surprise when I got home.

This is what the back fence area looked like when I went to hospital


This is what it looks like now!


We now have tomatoes and beans growing in the old laundry tub
and Australian natives like grevillea's in the corner


Along the back fence there are more Australian natives such as Geraldton Wax, bottle brush and banksia along with some proteas, which aren't native to Australia but are similar so we hope we don't have any problems growing them!


This is one of my favourites, it's a native called Featherhead
and should look fantastic once it has grown some more


This is my contribution to the garden - the herb pots!


2 comments:

Demara said...

SHE? Did I already know it was a she? You're having a girl? I'm glad the Doctors caught the high blood pressure in time!

nice garden.

And I can't wait to meet her!

Bonnie said...

The garden looks wonderful ! How sweet of him to finish that up while you were in hospital !!