Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Red Red Sky


Last Wednesday Sydneysiders  (and those of us an hour or so outside of Sydney) woke to a red dawn unlike anything seen before by residents as a thick dust cloud covered half of New South Wales.

Apparently the dust plume stretched 600 kilometres  dumping up to 75,000 tonnes of dust per hour into the Tasman Sea.


Initially the dust cloud was a crimson red about dawn turning orange and then yellow before morphing into a thick grey colour. I was feeding Annabelle when I first noticed the reddish colour streaming through the blinds but by the time I had finished with her feed the colour had already turned to grey.


I know a lot of people thought the day had an eerie vibe to it but I was more concerned with the clean up - everything had to be scrubbed to get the red dirt off it - the letter box, verandah,outdoor setting - even the plants were covered! I'm just glad I brought the washing in the night before!



 The Opera House



The Harbour Bridge



Bondi Beach



the view from my front verandah around 9 am


No comments: