Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sleep Deprived

Our little girl is now 3 weeks old, as of today! Unfortunately she's been having problems with colic so our lack of sleep continues, hopefully not for too much longer!

Annabelle's jaundice is now gone and as a result of her not being so sleepy now she is starting to drink more at each feed - initially it was a real battle to get her to feed as the jaundice made her sleep all the time.

Unfortunately my milk never came in properly, despite being put on medication, so feeding time is a bit of a lengthy process as I start by breast feeding then I give Annabelle breast milk that I have expressed after her last feed and then she is given a top up bottle of formula! After the feed is finished and Annabelle is settled I then have to express milk for the next feed, sometimes I only just finish and it's time for her next feed!

I'm disappointed that I can't just breast feed Annabelle, as that is what I had planned on doing, but I think in the next few weeks she will have to be fed by bottle alone as the feeding process is wearing me out - and I'm tired enough as it is! For me the main thing is that Annabelle is given the best start possible as she is such a tiny little thing so I'm pleased that she has been given some breast milk as it does contain antibodies and proteins that are really beneficial for newborns.

Our weather on the weekend was really warm for this time of year so we spent a lot of time outside - perfect for shorts and t-shirts! Luckily I have bought Annabelle a couple of outfits for premature babies as nothing fitted - even clothes for newborns are too big.

 
Our skinny minny girl!
Just to put into perspective how little she actually is here is Annabelle having a cuddle with her Nanna Hellen:
Look at those scrawny arms and legs -
we're working on building them up!
I have the child and health nurse coming tomorrow for a further check up so I will know if Annabelle has gained weight this week - last week she had put on 300 grams in 7 days which is good.
I will keep you all posted!

1 comment:

Demara said...

awwwww she is STILL adorable Carolyn!!! I'm hoping God has placed one of those cute things inside of me now...I've been SO So naseous the last week! Living on chewable Gravol...it's probably just the flu...but usually with the flu, I've had thrown up by now.

Although, I am praying I vomit eventually...to lose some weight...hehe...but most of all I hope I MISS in a couple weeks!!! if you know what I mean.

I hope she's gained some weight. She is beautiful...I wish I could hold her :)