Friday, December 4, 2009

Cicada Season

The drone of cicadas is one of our most recognisable sounds of summer as they are the loudest insect in the world. We've noticed that the backyard is full of their discarded skins - they're stuck to all our trees, some plants, even one of the garbage bins! Everyday we wake to find more of them.

My mother tells me that when I was a child I used to collect them and at one stage I had a suitcase full so they obviously didn't scare me! Nowadays I find the adult cicada much more attractive, especially when they're fresh out of their skin and their vein-filled translucent wings are shimmering.

So far we've only seen one adult but it's early days yet - and we can certainly hear them at dusk so I'm sure we'll be seeing more over the coming weeks.



1 comment:

Demara said...

ew! a suitcase of them. Yuck! I guess you have that to look forward too? hehe They look HUGE.