Friday, February 19, 2010

This old heart of mine

You know you're getting older when you start saying things you remember hearing your parents say, such as 'they don't make them like they used to'. It's true that these days DVD players, TVs and even kids toys are cheaper to replace than to have them fixed if they break- products are no longer made to last.


My Mother gave away most of my toys years ago so the only things I really have from my childhood are my cot blanket, which I used when I brought Annabelle home from the hospital, a shawl and this little musical heart - which is now 40 years old and like its owner is a little worse-for-wear on the outside but in perfect working order.


Annabelle recently had her needles for her 6-month immunisation and she was a little grumpy afterwards and hard to settle so I decided to see if a bit of music would do the trick - it did. It may have lost its original ribbon, and for many years the sides have been held together with masking tape, but the music played exactly as I remembered it from my childhood.


It's now part of our bedtime routine to have the music play for Annabelle after we put her in her cot as she seems to find it relaxing and is normally asleep within minutes.

It may be old but my little musical heart was definitely made to last!

No comments: