Friday, July 30, 2010

Obsessed Much?

Next month our little cherub will be turning one, a milestone that must be celebrated with a party, even if it's only a small one.

Neither Aaron nor I are particularly religious so instead of a Christening or Baptism we've opted for a Blessing at  the Buddhist Temple nearby. I really love the meaning behind the Blessing; a wish that the child grows up to be a good person - you can't want more for your child than that!

The Blessing's are only held 3 times a year and luckily for us the next one is only a few weeks away from Annabelle's birthday so it's going to be a joint Blessing/1st Birthday party.

As Annabelle is my only child this is the first time I've had to plan a child's party, a scary new world of party favours, kids food and activities to plan.... my head is already reeling.

The one thing I have been sure of is the cake. Even though Annabelle won't be able to tell the difference between a mud cake and a lump of coal I have a very specific idea in my head of what I want. I never had any fancy cakes when I was growing up, and Annabelle probably won't have another party until she starts school so I don't mind being a little OTT for this birthday.

When I started looking at cakes they were mostly themes like Disney Princesses or Dora and I didn't want that as Annabelle has no idea who they are yet. One night while I was lying in bed thinking, which is where all my great ideas spring from, I decided I wanted a toadstool cake. Not just any toadstool cake, I specifically want a red and white toadstool that is made to look like a house.

The following day I searched the internet for a picture that I could take to the bakers with me but I didn't really come up with anything quite like I was picturing in my head. What I did discover is that there are quite a few pink or purple fairy toadstool cakes, although none of them actually resembled a proper toadstool!

Cake image from birthday cakes
Although this one is pretty the dimensions are all wrong. 
The top of the toadstool should be much bigger than the bottom - and the shape is all wrong!


Anyone remember reading Noddy books as a kid? 
This is the house of Big Ears and this is what I've had stuck in my head all these years.


This is the picture I took with me to the bakers - the colour is right and so is the shape,
 it just needs doors and a window, or so I thought.

After thinking I'd found the perfect cake I was disappointed to discover that once it was made it would only cut about 15 pieces. Luckily the man who is going to decorate the cake, quite an excitable young man I must say, had some good ideas of his own and it didn't take long for him to start sketching them for me. 

What I've ended up with, I think, is a grassy hill with a stream running through it and a toadstool house sitting on top. I have asked for it to look 'enchanted' so hopefully it will have butterflies, flowers and ladybirds on it. We pick up the cake next Friday, lets hope it lives up to my (obviously very high) expectations!!


3 comments:

little amanda 7609 said...

I am so looking forward to seeing the cake and hearing all about the blessing (great idea btw). I've got Annabelle's pressie sorted and shall be posting that and her card soon. Its a lovely day celebrating the 1st birthday of a little one.

PlanningQueen said...

Sounds like it will be one impressive cake. I have always enjoyed celebrating a child's first birthday party as a mark that we have survived another first year f parenting!

"D" said...

Sounds glorious! an enchanted cake? wow I want one!! hehe