Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Frittata Fingers

I don't often post recipes but this one has been such a success with my 14 month old I thought I'd share it!

Frittata Fingers
Ingredients
1 medium zucchini grated (about half a cup)
1 medium carrot grated (about half a cup)
1 small tin creamed corn - 135g
1 small onion chopped finely
1-2 small broccoli florets finely chopped (just the tops, no stems)
4 eggs lightly whisked
grated cheese - 1/3 cup
1 Tablespoon sifted plain flour
2 teaspoons olive oil

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease and line a square cake pan, ( I actually use a rectangular lamington pan as I prefer the frittata a bit thinner as it is easy for little fingers to hold).

Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat and add zucchini, carrot, broccoli and onions. Cook mixture for about 5 minutes until veggies are softer. remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Whisk eggs in a large bowl and add cheese, sifted flour and vegetable mix Stir until well combined.

Pour mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before placing on a plate to cool completely

Cut into fingers.


I have previously substituted the creamed corn for shredded chicken - I used a small 85g tin, or sweet potato, both of which were successful (it just depends on what I have in the cupboard and fridge!)

I freeze the fingers in packets of two and they make good day care food as Annabelle will eat them cold and she can actually feed herself. If I serve them to her for dinner I heat them up and serve them with cheesy mashed potato and pumpkin.

The frittata can also become an adult dish with the addition of seasoning, parsley, garlic (which is cooked with the onion), omitting the brocolli and replacing the corn with some bacon.

Serve warm in squares with a lovely crisp green salad - and a glass of wine if you wish!

No comments: