Friday, November 12, 2010

Once More Unto the Breach

When I was pregnant with Annabelle I developed high blood pressure, which meant a stay in hospital on bed rest and leaving work earlier than I'd hoped. It was good at the time but it actually meant I had less time at home with her after she was born as I had exhausted all my leave and had to return to work when she was only 6 months old, thankfully only part time.

This pregnancy has been completely different to Annabelle's, which is why I've been convinced from day one that I am having a boy. The morning sickness was far worse, and still pays me the occasional visit, the heartburn has kicked in a lot earlier (Gaviscon and Mylanta are my new best friends) and the exhaustion doesn't seem to want to leave me - regardless of how much sleep I have (the fact that we have a 14 month old probably has something to do with the last bit).

The upside to all this is that I've actually lost weight, 6 kilos to be exact. I'm not exactly sure where the loss has come from as it certainly hasn't left my butt - it's a shame we can't choose these things isn't it! I have to add that I haven't been trying to lose weight, however I'm putting it down to two bouts of gastro and horrendous morning sickness.

Of course the most important thing is the health of the baby, who is measuring correctly and appears healthy on all the scans. This time around I am hoping for a nice healthy sized baby as Annabelle was induced two weeks early and weighed 2700 grams (5.9 pounds). ). Even 0000 outfits were too big for her so I had to go and buy premmie clothes for her to wear, although technically she was considered full term. I have since been told that high blood pressure affects the placenta, which in turn affects the size of the baby!

So, despite the weight loss, tiredness and everything else I had been travelling along quite well and I’d been feeling pretty pleased with myself that my blood pressure had remained stable – until I reached my 29th week and then everything went pear shaped!

I’ve already had a trip to hospital to be monitored, poked, prodded and scanned and now I am the owner of my very own blood pressure machine as I have to take readings several times a day and then email them to my Obstetrician – what fun!

Although this bubba isn’t due until the 14th January I’ve been told I will probably have a December baby – please let bubba hang on until after 25th December! The realisation that I only have about 7 weeks to go is both exciting and a little scary as we’re neither mentally nor physically prepared.

I guess it’s time to stop procrastinating and start getting organised – looks like we’ll be buying a cot this weekend!

2 comments:

Demara said...

I can't believe it's almost that time again! You go girl :) Can't wait to see THIS little one...

little amanda 7609 said...

you take care and make sure you let me know how you are, you have my new mobile number don't you? You'll have us worried if we don't know how you are