Friday, December 10, 2010

4:09

So here I am at 4:09am wishing I was in bed asleep but knowing it's futile to even attempt it as it hasn't been very successful so far tonight, or should that be this morning!

As of today I have approximately 3 weeks left until our new baby is born and I have reached a point where getting comfortable in bed is difficult to do. Laying on my back is not recommended as the baby's weight applies pressure to the large vein that carries blood back to the heart from the feet and legs, and is uncomfortable anyway. When I lay on my left side, which is the recommended sleeping position during pregnancy as it supposedly improves circulation to the heart and allows for the best blood flow to the fetus, uterus, and kidneys my hands go numb and I wake up anyway! It's very difficult to sleep in one position all night, which partly explains why I am still awake at 4 in the morning!

My other reason for being awake is because Annabelle is also having a bad night and keeps waking up every 20 minutes or so and getting into bed only to have to get back up again not long afterwards is making me feel sick so I am fighting the stinging eyes and trying to do something productive instead.

I am wondering if Annabelle is about to cut another tooth as she always gets restless when she is teething and she doesn't have a temperature or runny nose so she doesn't appear to be sick in any way. I am thankful that she is easy to settle as a few soothing words and getting her to lay down again are all that are normally required, however two nights of doing this repeatedly is starting to take its toll on me!

Sadly, I think my lack of sleep is affecting me in other areas as I am feeling quite apathetic about Christmas - and it's normally my favourite time of year! I keep looking at the presents that are in the spare room and I think to myself  'I must get in there and wrap those' but so far it hasn't happened. I'm now at the point where I really need to wrap presents as some have to be posted to people and I'll be cutting it fine if I don't do it now.

I'm also feeling undecided about putting up a tree this year. Last year I was thrilled with my tree, it was covered in ornaments that I had brought back from my holidays overseas and I had about 5 different sets of lights on it - it looked fabulous! I normally put the tree up on 1 December but Annabelle is only 15 months and I haven't found a place to put it where she won't get to it and so instead I've done nothing.

I think it's time I got myself sorted as Christmas is coming whether I am ready or not and then straight after that our baby is going to join us - I need to stop ignoring both facts and get organised.

So now my plan for today is to wrap presents, put up Christmas decorations and wash newborn baby clothes in preparation of the new addition. I'm definitely going to do that today, but first I think I might go and have a nap!

2 comments:

little amanda 7609 said...

awh hun,must be awful for you. Hopefully you'll perk up with some sleep and rest. Take it easy.

Katie said...

Oh, I hope you've been able to get some better sleep! Never mind about the tree, preparing for a baby is way better than preparing for Christmas anyway :) All the best for the rest of your pregnancy.