Thursday, April 21, 2011

One of those days

I love being a mother.

In fact I really, really love being a mother.

I waited a long time to have my girls and I cherish every moment I have with them but some days it can be such hard work.

Today was one of those days.

When Annabelle put a chunk of her hot cross bun in my tea  I stared at the floating sultanas and I immediately knew what sort of day it was going to be.

I wasn't wrong.

Aaron accidentally left the bathroom door open so while I was making a fresh cup of tea Annabelle snuck in and decided to go through the drawers of the vanity. Luckily she wasn't alone for very long, just long enough to pour liquid foundation on a pair of my pants!

Annabelle normally goes to day care 3 days a week but for different reasons she's only been twice in the last 4 weeks so we've all been suffering a bit of cabin fever. Unfortunately our backyard is small and sloping, which is not great for toddlers as they tend to fall over all the time, so I've had to come up with ways to entertain while staying indoors (we were quarantined for a week as we had been exposed to whooping cough).

Over the past couple of weeks we've done lots of drawing, made Easter cards for the grandparents and had fun stamping our hand print on paper - all very messy but fun! Today though Annabelle didn't want to do any of those things and I seemed to spend the whole day picking up after her as she went from one thing to another.

I thought I'd get a coffee break when Annabelle had her lunch time nap but Evelyn woke up for a feed as I was putting Annabelle to bed and then Annabelle woke up as I was putting Evelyn back to bed!

It really was one of those days!

The hours between 5 and 7 are always a bit chaotic as Annabelle has a routine of dinner, bath and bed. I love the time just before bed when she's in her pyjamas ready for her bedtime story and we get lots of kisses and cuddles. It's a lovely time.

With Annabelle in bed I get to spend some time alone with Evelyn before she settles for the night around 10pm and if I'm lucky I can have a shower and some 'me' time.

Not tonight though.

No sooner had I stepped under the lovely hot water when I heard Evelyn crying - she had wind pains again.

It's almost midnight and the house is finally quiet, so now I can read my emails, catch up on blogs and see what's happening on facebook.

One of the blog posts I came across tonight is from a lady named Romina Garcia and her post made me chuckle as her day was worse than mine, mind you she has three young children and is pregnant with her fourth! I don't know how she does it. Her very funny blog is called  Martyr-hood and is definitely worth a read.

I'm off to bed now for tomorrow it starts all over again.

cuddles before bed


Don't be fooled by the cuteness of the picture - 2 seconds after 
this was taken  Annabelle reached down and bit Evelyn on the arm!

5 comments:

Joni Llanora said...

I am really impressed how mums with more than one kid can manage. I only have one and find it already too much at times. You are doing a good job!

Romina Garcia said...

Oh I feel your pain and I hear everything you are saying. Our backyard is also sloping which is a challenge to say the very least.
I think you are doing an awesome job. We all have days where we contemplate sticking our heads in the oven...but every day is a new day. Somedays I need to wait a week for that "new day", but it comes, and then I feel refreshed again. My motto in life is "Just keep swimming!" We'll all get through it somehow :-)
Thanks for the shoutout!
Ps - Your bubs are devine. So so adorable x

little amanda 7609 said...

My sister goes stir crazy with an almost 7 year old and a two year old. Don't worry, Miss Nia looks so innocent but she's in BIG trouble with her parents and she's done nothing but batter her big brother - pull his hair, smack him about...oh she's a devil.

Toushka Lee said...

I can relate. so much. I love your blog it's adorable. can't believe I haven't found it until now thanks to blog this.
Gorgeous kids. If only they stayed picture perfect all the time. lol.

Demara said...

Oh my. Are you serious?! That's HILARIOUS!! funny girl. :p