Saturday, February 4, 2012

Changes

This has been a week of big changes for all of us.

I have been on unpaid maternity leave since July last year and financially it has been really difficult trying to survive on one income, especially when Aaron's wage is unpredictable as he can't work in rain or windy weather.

Initially I had planned on returning to work when Evie was 6 months old, when my paid maternity leave had come to an end, but I found it impossible to find suitable day care as my girls would need to be in care from 6.30am to 6.30pm due to my long commute to work.

As time went on I realised I didn't want to leave them for that length of time anyway so I have been applying for jobs locally with little success.

I enquired last December about becoming a Family Day Care Educator and they happened to be recruiting at the time so within a matter of weeks I was undergoing Educator training, doing a first aid course and making amendments to our back yard to make it more secure.

In mid January I received my Certificate of Registration and last week I commenced work as an Educator.

I have 2 after school children who come to me for 2 hours each afternoon and they are both lovely. Being brother and sister some of their antics remind me of growing up with my older brothers. I also care for a 3 year old boy and a 3 year old girl two days a week each and thankfully they are lovely too.

I think the first week was hardest on Annabelle as she is used to being home with me and Evie and it was difficult for her having other children in the house. She is a typical 2 year old so sharing isn't one of her strengths just yet, hopefully she will adjust quickly.

Last week it rained for 3 days straight so going outside was out of the question, which made me thankful I had a lots of craft planned - so many things you can make from an egg carton!

It's early days yet but I am enjoying working on lesson plans and coming up with games and interesting craft ideas for the kids.

Fingers crossed I don't lose my enthusiasm.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Wow! What a big change. Good luck