Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Moving forward

There have been lots of adjustments in the house recently, changing from a two-parent family to being a single parent hasn't exactly been easy going.

The first few weeks were the worst as Annabelle constantly asked for her Dad or wanted to know where he was, Evie being younger didn't seem as distressed as Annabelle was.

Fast-forward a few months and we seem to have settled into a rhythm that works for us, and I have discovered that routine is the key to keeping us moving forward. The problem with working from home is that there are people coming to the house every morning so there's no going to bed leaving dishes in the sink or the floor not vacuumed (looking after 5 children each day you can imagine the messy floors).

Once everyone has gone home we have dinner together then it's bath time, book and bed for the girls. By the time I have cleaned up and had a shower I'm too tired to do much else so my clean laundry pile seems to be growing higher every day, thankfully it's hidden away in my bedroom so no one sees it but me!

Of course the distraction that social media brings probably doesn't help me get my laundry done but I figure I'm entitled to a little bit of 'me' time at the end of the day!

Probably the biggest change that I've made is that I make sure I take the girls somewhere over the weekend. Monday to Thursday they share me with other children so on the weekend we go to a park, a play area or even just to the shops for a wander around and a donut.

The girls really enjoy it and so do I.

It's our time together.


 Eating her treat at the shops


I love how Evie pokes her tongue out when she is happy or excited


She may only be 18 months old but Evie knows where to put the money in to make the ride go

3 comments:

Allan said...

I think you're awesome Carolyn. I had wondered if you were a single mum and that fact just boosts you ever higher in my esteem. I admire the job you do with your little ones. Looking after other "littlies" as well - it's no wonder you have a full and tiresome day/week. All credit to you.
PS It always amazes me how much your girls look like the Carolyn Broadhead I remember from primary school.

Carolyn said...

Thanks Allan. until recently I couldn't see any resemblance between myself and the girls but I found some old photos a few weeks ago and was amazed how much Annabelle looked like me at that age.

little amanda 7609 said...

I didn't realise that you had split up. Oh no :( Hope all is well, PM or email me soon